Welcome to Advent Destiny
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Coliseum

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Our members loved the Coliseum. It was one of the most, if the the most, popular corners of Advent Destiny. I found it quite surreal to see the concept of a battle arena come to life in the Gundam Build Fighters series. Seeing the characters dish it out in Gunpla Battle made me itch for a battle.

Anyone else similarly inspired and yearning for a match?

Posted

I would definitely agree in getting the coliseum back in action cause i loved it~

Now the question would be do we want to utilise the coliseum using: 

a) the mech from the role plays or

b) customise the mech from a list/library (similar to that of Build Fighters) or

c) completely designed from scratch

1 person likes this

Posted

Now the question would be do we want to utilise the coliseum using: 

a) the mech from the role plays or

b) customise the mech from a list/library (similar to that of Build Fighters) or

c) completely designed from scratch

We could do all three if there's demand. Using mecha from the role-play would mean having the RP already up and running. We could start with a custom unit made from existing tech. For one designed from scratch, would it be using existing tech or original ones?

Posted

@Valiant for designed from scratch thoughts are utilising original systems and weaponary via upgrades on the existing tech so they would still be bound by what is known to date. Otherwise it may go overboard~

Posted

I guess this would be the best place to talk about custom design Mechs, Crafts, and Ships here for now. I would suggest a game load-out point system where RPers have an amount of points that they could use to "purchase" weapons, systems, and other tech that is available faction-wise or globally. This can be implemented for both the Coliseum and the Main RP custom suits and ships. This is to place a controlled and balance system for RPers to play with but also to limit the designs to not go overboard. This would also set rules and guidelines on specific weapons or systems for RPers to follow when doing a combat RP. That way, mods can determine easily if the design is within the limits of the system and if they have enough points to do so.      

In the Coliseum, such a system would greatly benefit it as it would generally let RPers design their own Mobile Suits or ships with a set amount of points and they get to ride on it once approved. And it will not limit them to the same Mobile Suits and Ships that are already within Gundam Universe. Granted, they still can use the original designs but it would really be quite exciting to see new ones in action or even design a Mobile Suit that is from a different Universe and bring it in within the AD system.

For the Main RP... lets face it. Everyone wants to be the hero. This is their story and they want to tell it in the best way that they could. But... it would be boring to do so if they will be stuck on the same old design. Why not give them the opportunity to make their own mech? Let them design a mech that they would truly enjoy and at the same time is within CE Universe and AD system. Let's give these heroes the opportunity to shine... or see them get squished. Either way it would be quite a story to tell.

All in all, we will need to build up a balanced system of rules for this with a good list of weapons and systems that is within the CE Universe and maybe bring in other tech we have yet to see. For the point system, I think we can give them as a reward system depending on their frequency and quality of posts per thread they have joined in. This can a good motivator for people to be active and do better so as to reward them for something to keep the site active for RPers.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes @Konigstiger, a properly laid out guideline and a point system would help to control the balance. Players should get the choice of a free form or point-based battle. If you go for a free form battle, you should be more willing to work out any conflicts or disagreements that occur. That is the drawback in exchange of not having fiddle with a point system.

We would need to draw up a game system and assign the stats to each weapon and tech that we make available. That is a lot of work and preparation involved before we even get into the cockpit. We'll need a group of volunteers to help get this set up.

@Valiant for designed from scratch thoughts are utilising original systems and weaponary via upgrades on the existing tech so they would still be bound by what is known to date. Otherwise it may go overboard~

​Yeah, that's what I thought. :thumbsup:

Posted (edited)

Back then besides AD, I was in on another Gundam RP site and they had a really good and balanced point system. The site is more of half RP and half game (Yeah, RPG) or half story half statistics. The guidelines and rules weren't that too complicated but it was quite sound and understandable. The selection of systems and weapons was wide enough to provide a diverse range of experimentations or attainable designs that you really want to achieve. Weather you want a Mobile Suit, a Mobile Armor, a Craft, or even a ship you can build it as long as you keep RPing to achieve the necessary points to buy those systems. And they work for both their Coliseum and the Main RP also.

I'll try to remember my notes on that system and maybe we can make our own one that is somewhat similar but also add something new to it. So I'll do some digging for now.:scheming:

Edited by Konigstiger

Posted

That'll be very useful @Konigstiger. I hope you can find your notes.

Posted

I loved Gundam Build Fighters (and Try). I say if that idea is added, it becomes part of the universe, Pilots and whatnot can have their real wars, real battles, real military, but on the side, characters can have gunpla and gundam fights too. I myself wouldn't mind making a character based around Gunpla Combat.

Posted

I loved Gundam Build Fighters (and Try). I say if that idea is added, it becomes part of the universe, Pilots and whatnot can have their real wars, real battles, real military, but on the side, characters can have gunpla and gundam fights too. I myself wouldn't mind making a character based around Gunpla Combat.

​No, we're not talking specifically about Gunpla battle, but a general mobile weapons battle arena.

Posted

​No, we're not talking specifically about Gunpla battle, but a general mobile weapons battle arena.

​Oh, sorry, still sleepy when I posted that, and this. The only downside to that is that in combat, when a part gets destroyed you have to buy a new one, and that can be expensive. That and the character dying in a mock battle. Unless of course, the mock battles aren't "officially" real, but are simulation instead.

Note: How do you edit posts and add a signature?

Posted

@the General in a sense the part that gets hit in battle can be repaired.

With regards to characters dying in battle - that wouldnt happen usually (may be more plausible in the actual RP) but usually the battles would end way before then as its easier to disarm the other mobile suit instead of just doing a Shinn (ie: driving a sword straight through the cockpit/godfinger through the cockpit etc etc)

But simulations can also occur in this battlefield space just need to make it clear~ :)

Posted

Gundam Breaker springs into my mind. The parts that can be customized are split into:

• Head
  • Torso
  • Arms
  • Legs
  • Backpack
  • Weapons
  • Shields

The torso and legs will have a certain maximum capacity. Apart from capacity, we can consider introducing the maximum number of hardpoints (BattleTech reference) for loading gear. I suppose something similar can be adapted for the purpose of Mobile Armor or even bigger crafts. 

That's all I can think of at the moment. Got to get back to work. :sad:

Hope @Konigstiger can find the notes!

Posted

Just a quick update. I lost my notes on the system but was able to track down the original guidelines and rules of the game system of RP site, using internet time machine. I'm now encoding it on google docs document and add more details and descriptions before I show it to you guys.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Posted

Great job @Konigstiger! I'll need some time to digest these.