Welcome to Advent Destiny
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advent Destiny RP

14 posts in this topic

Posted

We have discussed this on the Facebook Group. Let's expand upon that and work out a suitable setting for our canon role-play.

I understand that some of our members wish to continue their previous role-play storylines. I hear you. I would like to propose we embrace Sunrise's practice of having alternate universes. So we can have Advent Destiny: Endless Stargazer or Advent Destiny: Stardust Trailblazer. The onus is on the members find players, come to a consensus on the premise of the RP and, to a certain extent, have autonomy over the running of the RP.

The advantages of this include giving members more flexibility to choose the story and settings they wish to RP in, and making it easier for members to play their characters in different situations. At the same time, we can maintain a canon Advent Destiny RP that is an original storyline.

One big drawback would be stretching our membership too thinly over too many RPs. It is a concern but my opinion is that we won't know how things will turn out if we don't give it a try. If it fails, we learn from it and refine the system.

Thoughts please. =)

Posted (edited)

It would be nice to have some separation if people intend on finishing their unfinished business, but within particular constraints. This would simple be a side-story or a what-if type of scenario that wouldn't affect what story-line/plot the main RP is about. We don't want to have far too many of these AUs floating about that makes it harder for newer people to jump in and share in the experience or slowdown due to people not posting and continuing the experience. So player A could finish a fight with their rival, or conclude some epic battle that they were part of on the old boards. 

These AUs can play for extra back-story for X characters. For example someone creates say a X Nation Military Academy where X characters get to rp about their characters in their early days of being at the lowest point of the totem pole, explain friendships to X RP buddy, or something purely just for fun. A beach party event where for some reason enemies/allies are in one place for no reason but to engage in friendly competition. It would be fun to have a few things like this rolling around, but it would be there for entertainment, and laughs. 

I would suggest keeping a say Main RP Board with X locations, and keeping a separate one for Alternate Universe Topics.  

Edited by Wilhelm
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the input, @Wilhelm

It would be nice to have some separation if people intend on finishing their unfinished business, but within particular constraints. This would simple be a side-story or a what-if type of scenario that wouldn't affect what story-line/plot the main RP is about. We don't want to have far too many of these AUs floating about that makes it harder for newer people to jump in and share in the experience or slowdown due to people not posting and continuing the experience. So player A could finish a fight with their rival, or conclude some epic battle that they were part of on the old boards. 

Yes, we would have to be strict about the responsiveness. Players would have to commit to finishing the RP within a time frame and accept that if they are unable to do so, the other players involved have the right to take over the characters in order for the story to be completed. They reserve the right to regain control their characters when they return but they would have to live with the RP actions that occurred while they were away. Of course, the group has to be reasonable and not intentionally kill, maim or make critical decisions. This would really depend on circumstances, but if absolutely necessary, they can contact the player and inform him about it.

Think of it as us publishing for a weekly or monthly story column. The show must go on. If the writer had to miss an entry, a guest writer comes in.

These AUs can play for extra back-story for X characters. For example someone creates say a X Nation Military Academy where X characters get to rp about their characters in their early days of being at the lowest point of the totem pole, explain friendships to X RP buddy, or something purely just for fun. A beach party event where for some reason enemies/allies are in one place for no reason but to engage in friendly competition. It would be fun to have a few things like this rolling around, but it would be there for entertainment, and laughs. 

Character back stories should be within the canon universe for it to be related to the storyline. AU would be more of "what if" types of RPs where the characters branch off into another decision or circumstance instead of what happened in the canon storyline. For example, faction A won a decisive battle in the canon but you want to explore the fate of the character in a scenario where faction B won instead.

A back story has a direct influence on the character in the canon RP. So the back story has to be canon and not AU.

This raises the point of chronology. RP threads would not be restricted by chronology, as mentioned in the Facebook group. This means that while the driving plot of the canon RP sets the pace, the players can choose to RP any time prior to the current RP point in time. But players can choose to RP in the future beyond where the canon RP is. These speculative RPs would then fall under alternate universes.

I would suggest keeping a say Main RP Board with X locations, and keeping a separate one for Alternate Universe Topics. 

​We would be having threads for RPs without having to group them by locations. So it is easier to move around without switching boards just because we are switching locations. It would be easier for newcomers to follow that particular story arc simply by going through the thread. Definitely will have a separate board for alternate universe RPs.

Posted

Just a suggestion for the progression of the Main RP, lets have an actual passing of time within the RP timeline. It doesn't need to be exact in real-time. Like for example, for each 2 months in real-time the Main RP Timeline date will move to one week ahead. That way, we can set a certain deadline for all current timeline RPs, have a frame of reference of time itself within the main RP, set up events to have certain progression to the stories we're RPing, and have everyone be on the same timeline doing the current Main RP timeline. RP threads that are not finished by the time the 2 Month time limit has passed will be then be placed as a back story thread to which they can continue if they wish to anytime. The purpose of this movement of time is to have progression of the story and not let the Main RP stagnate for too long on waiting for members. This is a way also to give a frame of reference for members that they need post and progress the story or be left behind due no activity.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just a suggestion for the progression of the Main RP, lets have an actual passing of time within the RP timeline. It doesn't need to be exact in real-time. Like for example, for each 2 months in real-time the Main RP Timeline date will move to one week ahead. That way, we can set a certain deadline for all current timeline RPs, have a frame of reference of time itself within the main RP, set up events to have certain progression to the stories we're RPing, and have everyone be on the same timeline doing the current Main RP timeline. RP threads that are not finished by the time the 2 Month time limit has passed will be then be placed as a back story thread to which they can continue if they wish to anytime. The purpose of this movement of time is to have progression of the story and not let the Main RP stagnate for too long on waiting for members. This is a way also to give a frame of reference for members that they need post and progress the story or be left behind due no activity.

I get what you mean, @Konigstiger. Only the main RP would be the current timeline. Side RP threads do not have to follow the pace of the main RP, so regardless of the passage of time, they can still be played without being placed as a back story. But the time limit should apply to the main RP. The scale of the time would depend on the scenarios that the main RP would be tackling. Scenes with greater details and interactions would need more time to be played out.

Time reference is easy the way I see it. The main RP would be the present and everything outside of that would be considered as the past. Any events that would have an impact on the present should be played out in the main RP thread. In the scenario where things get complicated and multiple events makes the main RP confusing, the main RP thread can be split into a few threads. So it can take the form of War A: Battle X and War A: Battle Y, or War A: Faction B, War A: Faction C. It depends on which perspective is more important at that particular phase. The key is to keep the threads easy for readers to follow and for RPs to keep track.

Posted

I mentioned a few things on the facebook page, but didn't really get a response on whether folks liked it or not.

As for the AU, I personally don't think there's much we can do to completely wrap up all the loose ends AD was left with. In terms of characters, there are too many characters missing, in terms of plot, again there are so many missing essential participants. Unless we go ahead and say, "These characters do this" to help advance the AU plot, we're at a bit of a stand still. That's not to say that we can't, just that its probably something that would require a bit of thought and concentration on. It would be more of an afterthought/"wouldn't it be cool if" scenario as opposed to an actual conclusion to our time in the original AD, but closure is nice in and of itself. 

In terms of actual RP on  AD though, do we know what route we're going for plot/setting/story? It would be hella hard to pick up where AD left off, but I don't reckon a lot of us with developed characters are keen on the reboot/restart idea? Just wondering where we stand on that front. Also, I can repost some of the stuff I posted on the FB group if that'll help? Just not sure where we stand at the moment, my bad. xD

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree with @Renliss on this. I think it would be much better for all of us if we would just reboot the storyline again from the beginning. Continuing with were we left off in AD would just serve as nostalgia for us who have stayed that long and would also marginalise the new members and would confuse them more. For me, the best course would be to reboot the storyline from the start and either bring in new characters or bring in the old ones depending on those who own them. Currently, theres alot of essential old members who are not yet in AD that would be needed to continue story.

Let's just do a fresh start with fresh new faces and ideas. We can rehash some ideas and also bring in new ones as we go.

1 person likes this

Posted

I mentioned a few things on the facebook page, but didn't really get a response on whether folks liked it or not.

As for the AU, I personally don't think there's much we can do to completely wrap up all the loose ends AD was left with. In terms of characters, there are too many characters missing, in terms of plot, again there are so many missing essential participants. Unless we go ahead and say, "These characters do this" to help advance the AU plot, we're at a bit of a stand still. That's not to say that we can't, just that its probably something that would require a bit of thought and concentration on. It would be more of an afterthought/"wouldn't it be cool if" scenario as opposed to an actual conclusion to our time in the original AD, but closure is nice in and of itself. 

In terms of actual RP on  AD though, do we know what route we're going for plot/setting/story? It would be hella hard to pick up where AD left off, but I don't reckon a lot of us with developed characters are keen on the reboot/restart idea? Just wondering where we stand on that front. Also, I can repost some of the stuff I posted on the FB group if that'll help? Just not sure where we stand at the moment, my bad. xD

Yes, the point of the AU was mainly to address the issue of those who were not keen on a reboot. They can continue with their developed characters. I agree that a closure would be good and fulfilling for those who want to see their characters play out their roles.

The push for an original storyline is to give us greater flexibility and work without worrying about copyright issues. I have some ambitious plans for AD that would work only if we run an original story.

@Renliss would be good to share the points that you think have not been properly addressed.

Posted (edited)

Right. Here it goes. **WARNING, WALL OF TEXT DETECTED**

I had been part of a Gundam MUSH a while back and their approach was interesting. Their story started at the first episode of SEED and used it's history as a base, but from that point onwards, the story was what the characters made it. For example, Kira never made it to the Strike and was killed, there wasn't a lot of focus on the canon characters (though some did pop up from time to time) and the story followed the characters, not the heroes of SEED. It was basically a re-telling of SEED in such a way that we shaped it ourselves, essentially creating an AU SEED. It worked surprisingly well and allowed the players to go in lots of different directions. IC choices had IC consequences that affected the world (Who was in charge, what battles took place where, etc etc). It was heavily focused on characters as opposed to plot; plot was still important, but it was the characters and their struggles that really made a lot of the RP scenes shine. 

Another thing they did was what was already suggested with the customization; you got points that you could use to buy suits and upgrade them with weapons and equipment. Each suit/weapon/equipment had stats for rolled combat, but most scenes were done entirely as RP instead of a D&D styled combat round. I liked it because it added versatility and kept combat fresh. Each character had a character sheet as well for rolled combat or other events, but most things were RPed instead of rolled. These points were rewarded for completing scenes and RPing, and sometimes as options in loot drops. 

As for player activity, they had an interesting system in place. Instead of creating an event and telling everyone to join, the admin would send out an announcement asking interested players to send them a tell/PM if they wanted to partake. They then incorporated those characters into the scene naturally. This ensured that the people in any given scene WANTED to be there. I feel RP was a lot smoother and rewarding as a result. Granted, that was based on real time RP as opposed to forum-based RP, so I'm not sure how well it would work in this scenario. Worth mentioning though, I reckon.

Loot drops could be another idea. At the end of scenes, the DM running the scene would make a list of loot (suits, equipment for suits, weapons for suits, character scale equipment like weapons or other vehicles, or even just points for suit customization, novelty items, character specific rewards etc etc) and the players involved would roll 1d100. Highest or lowest roll would to choose what they want. The DM would try to make it make sense in terms of the storyline as well, (Like if the scene is raiding a ZAFT station for example, the loot will be all ZAFT stuff that would be on the station naturally.) Sometimes, if the scene was a big one and it was well-done, the DM would give out specific character rewards that made sense for a character (Like if your military character was involved in a large-scale successful mission, they could get a reward of a promotion in their faction, a favour from someone higher up, or things like bases or buildings that they could customize and put to their own uses in the world). I really liked this because it helped characters establish and maintain a certain sense of uniqeness. A non-combat character and a military character could be involved in the same thread and get completely different rewards that reflected what their character was all about.  

Not saying 'copy everything from this MUSH ever!' but I just wanted to point out some of the features that made it a fun experience for me personally.

In terms of the actual customization/battle/character sheet thing, I am unfamiliar with any system that we could use as my experience is pretty much limited to Pathfinder/D&D, Shadowrun, Mutants and Masterminds, and some homebrew Fallout stuff haha. Those systems are very number/math heavy though so my initial thoughts are that they're unsuited to a more casual forum-styled environment like this. There's a system called The Window that is a lot simpler but I'm not sure if this is the style we're really going for. We could just as easily separate number/math threads from the ones that we want as strictly RP, or even make up a homebrew system. I'm not good with numbers, I dunno lol. I reckon it would have to be relatively simple otherwise it might discourage people from wanting to take part in threads that required the system. Maybe just some base ability scores and modifiers, basic skills, and then stats for suits/weapons maybe. 

I'd be interested in trying something similar with the storyline; set a start point in the timeline (like Heliopolis being attacked or something else), have an event to kick things off, and have the world and characters branch out on their own from there. It would mean it would still be an original AD storyline, but it would be familiar in the sense that it still takes place in the same world/universe. We could add or take away what we wanted (Canon characters/events, tech, etc etc) according to how our individual AD storyline progressed, and it would still make sense in the universe since the universe itself was organically created through everyone's collaboration. We could make it as serious or silly as we wanted and essentially just create from the ground up in such a way that it still feels like Gundam SEED, but it would be our Gundam SEED. Heck, we could even introduce AU versions of our previous characters if it feels SEED-ish enough haha. 

This post is already really long so I'll wrap it up by saying that whatever we decide to do, I hope its in the vein that its still at least somewhat related to Gundam SEED as opposed to dropping everything and making it a more Generic Gundam RP. I reckon a lot of us came to SEED RPG and Advent Destiny because it was SEED related (I know I did), so it would be nice to keep that root/base.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Edited by Renliss
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well said and my sentiments on getting the ball rolling.

I reckon a lot of us came to SEED RPG and Advent Destiny because it was SEED related (I know I did), so it would be nice to keep that root/base.

I believe with our current situation and number of members (which are all veterans of AD at the moment) it is best to go with the old AD storyline, since it pretty much follows on the CE Universe timeline of events. By either rebooting it or continuing where we left off, we get to enjoy what we liked and what has already been tested and worked in the past. So I say, let's dust off the old storyline and bring back the nostalgia. I know it maybe hard to progress further to what you intend @Valiant but I think we can still bring in the advance space travel in our CE Universe bit by bit. Baby steps if you will. That members get to also shape the world you want to tell and it might even grow even better. Then we can also update our RP systems as we go.

You can tell I'm already itching to get this started already . Well... we got the momentum going already. Old AD members are now coming back. More likely most them are also itching to jump back into the fray. SO let's dive in.

Edited by Konigstiger

Posted

I'll address the game mechanics and workflow when I have more time. For now, I'll address the issue of the setting.

I'd be interested in trying something similar with the storyline; set a start point in the timeline (like Heliopolis being attacked or something else), have an event to kick things off, and have the world and characters branch out on their own from there. It would mean it would still be an original AD storyline, but it would be familiar in the sense that it still takes place in the same world/universe. We could add or take away what we wanted (Canon characters/events, tech, etc etc) according to how our individual AD storyline progressed, and it would still make sense in the universe since the universe itself was organically created through everyone's collaboration. We could make it as serious or silly as we wanted and essentially just create from the ground up in such a way that it still feels like Gundam SEED, but it would be our Gundam SEED. Heck, we could even introduce AU versions of our previous characters if it feels SEED-ish enough haha. 

This post is already really long so I'll wrap it up by saying that whatever we decide to do, I hope its in the vein that its still at least somewhat related to Gundam SEED as opposed to dropping everything and making it a more Generic Gundam RP. I reckon a lot of us came to SEED RPG and Advent Destiny because it was SEED related (I know I did), so it would be nice to keep that root/base.

Well, @Renliss made a good point of sticking to our roots. It is something I'm keeping in mind. That said, we have to consider that it has been a decade *gasp* since SEED was released. Having a more generic Gundam setting would appeal to a wider base of players and hopefully address the issue of the lack of players. I'm open to borrowing aspects of the Cosmic Era and the old Advent Destiny, and fusing that to make something original.

I believe with our current situation and number of members (which are all veterans of AD at the moment) it is best to go with the old AD storyline, since it pretty much follows on the CE Universe timeline of events. By either rebooting it or continuing where we left off, we get to enjoy what we liked and what has already been tested and worked in the past. So I say, let's dust off the old storyline and bring back the nostalgia. I know it maybe hard to progress further to what you intend @Valiant but I think we can still bring in the advance space travel in our CE Universe bit by bit. Baby steps if you will. That members get to also shape the world you want to tell and it might even grow even better. Then we can also update our RP systems as we go.

You can tell I'm already itching to get this started already . Well... we got the momentum going already. Old AD members are now coming back. More likely most them are also itching to jump back into the fray. SO let's dive in.

Yes, we're all raring to go @Konigstiger. I can't wait to get started!

We have a handful of players but how will we grow our ranks in the long run? Sustainability and growth. Would a Cosmic Era setting appeal to newcomers? Another reason for an original setting is to avoid copyright issues, though that might be less of an issue at this point in time. But we have plans that would mean that we want to avoid getting sued by Sunrise and Bandai.

Those are my main concerns with sticking to our old setting. Glad to see more members sharing their thoughts.

Posted

Another reason for an original setting is to avoid copyright issues, though that might be less of an issue at this point in time. But we have plans that would mean that we want to avoid getting sued by Sunrise and Bandai.

Has there been an issue with RP sites of using company owned show timelines such as Gundam (or any other property for that matter)? I'm not seeing any issues of infringement when it comes to using such data that is open to the public. I mean... we're not making any profits from it. So I think we're not infringing on Sunrise's and Bandai's property at all. I believe RP sites such as AD are pretty much close to a parody of sorts which is ok when it comes to copyrights. 

We have a handful of players but how will we grow our ranks in the long run? Sustainability and growth. Would a Cosmic Era setting appeal to newcomers?

I think it will depend on those who are interested in Cosmic Era timeline itself or general Gundam RP itself. I for one can slightly forgive Gundam SEED and pretty much loath Gundam SEED Destiny. Yet, I'am very interested in the Cosmic Era for it's potential to be as great and as vast as the UC Universe. Only that I cannot wait for Sunrise or Bandai to return to CE with a new show. SEED Destiny pretty much blew that already but hope slightly restored thanks to SEED Stargazer.

What I'm trying to say is... lets stick to what we are. Our Identity. We are Advent Destiny, a RP forum site dedicated to Cosmic Era Gundam Universe. I don't think we need to appeal to what is hip or popular at the moment. Rather, we should develop our CE Alternate Universe that would be interesting to anyone in joining us. Weather its another UC fan or a general gundam fan or even just a regular RPer that has slight knowledge to the whole Gundam mythos, if we can make an interesting character driven set up but still sticking to the CE Universe and continuously developing our RP system to have more options and fun things to do... then I don't think we will have much problems when it comes to new members joining us. Of course, advertising the site would also help big time for us.

But, let's stick to what we are... A Cosmic Era Gundam Universe RP Forum. 

2 people like this

Posted

Has there been an issue with RP sites of using company owned show timelines such as Gundam (or any other property for that matter)? I'm not seeing any issues of infringement when it comes to using such data that is open to the public. I mean... we're not making any profits from it. So I think we're not infringing on Sunrise's and Bandai's property at all. I believe RP sites such as AD are pretty much close to a parody of sorts which is ok when it comes to copyrights.

​I agree, copyrights should matter as long as we're just a fan community RP board. We aren't taking anything/publishing anything/claiming it as our own and we've given credit to the source material. We aren't making profits, so I'm not really sure why copyright infringement is an issue.

What I'm trying to say is... lets stick to what we are. Our Identity. We are Advent Destiny, a RP forum site dedicated to Cosmic Era Gundam Universe. I don't think we need to appeal to what is hip or popular at the moment. Rather, we should develop our CE Alternate Universe that would be interesting to anyone in joining us. Weather its another UC fan or a general gundam fan or even just a regular RPer that has slight knowledge to the whole Gundam mythos, if we can make an interesting character driven set up but still sticking to the CE Universe and continuously developing our RP system to have more options and fun things to do... then I don't think we will have much problems when it comes to new members joining us. Of course, advertising the site would also help big time for us.

But, let's stick to what we are... A Cosmic Era Gundam Universe RP Forum. 

​I would like to stick to the Cosmic Era Gundam Universe as well. If we put as much effort into making the reborn AD as fun as the first iteration, we should have no problem generating interest for newcomers. We also have the advantage of learning from our past mistakes; we've already done this once. We've gone through years of what works and what doesn't, and we can use that to our advantage to make a stellar AD. When talking about AU's, we can take what we liked from the first AD and incorporate it, but we aren't BOUND by it. It could be a new beginning, an exciting fresh start. We get to decide what we do and don't use, and anything in between, really. It's really exciting when you think about it; the best parts of old AD combined with the new ideas we've learned along the way, it could be fantastic.

I'm also afraid that if we go the generic route, there won't be enough pull for newcomers. If everything is generic and spread out, it will feel less like a dedicated community and more like a "come here and do whatever" style RP. I don't think that would be beneficial for what I think most of us are envisioning for AD. If we stuck to the CE universe, everyone would have the same base and every character would fit into the world. If we started doing generic Gundam mashups, we could have characters themed from CE, from FC, from AW and UC. We would have a mismatch of tech, characters, plots, and other things. At that point it would be a hell of a time organizing all of that into a coherent plot that everyone could follow and participate in as a community. From past experiences, I find that making things open and general sometimes hurts the RP in the longrun since it's harder to get everyone on the same page. Whereas if we define ourselves as CE, there wouldn't ever be that same level of confusion. That's not to say we couldn't make our own tech and ideas for an AU CE timeline either. If that were the case, it would be easier to incorporate than if we went the generic route; it would just be a matter of "Here is the canon CE things, and here are the things we've built upon in the CE universe" instead of "Here are some custom ideas, lets find a way to make them fit with all the generic ideas that are floating around".

Bleurg, I hope that makes sense.   

1 person likes this

Posted

Good points @Renliss and @Konigstiger. I have spoken to both of you on the issue of copyright in private, and that should remain private for now. But it is a big driving factor to shift to something original to avoid any complications in the future.

Maybe I didn't explain well enough by what I mean by original. Original doesn't mean something generic that is open to everything under the sun. Perhaps the other threads are a bit misleading as well. Those are exploratory threads to get a feel of what kind of directions and themes we can and prefer to explore, but it doesn't mean we will accept everything thrown our way.

Also, original doesn't mean a mashup of characters from different Gundam universe. I'm not sure what gave that idea. What I'm considering is to take certain aspects of how they portray the world, not the characters. We will have an AD world and the characters will be AD themed with an AD plot. Technology can be inspired by the various Gundam and mecha series. But it doesn't mean everything gets accepted. Hmmm... perhaps I should have posted about tech creation process earlier to give a better picture of how we approve tech. In any case, it isn't as haphazard as you guys are imagining it to be.

A good thing that Konig pointed out to me is to start off from a CE inspired setting and then grow from there. So that avoids the copyright concerns and at the same time have some familiarity of the CE world.

I hope that clarifies things. And now, on to the Wall of Text™ by Renliss.

Another thing they did was what was already suggested with the customization; you got points that you could use to buy suits and upgrade them with weapons and equipment. Each suit/weapon/equipment had stats for rolled combat, but most scenes were done entirely as RP instead of a D&D styled combat round. I liked it because it added versatility and kept combat fresh. Each character had a character sheet as well for rolled combat or other events, but most things were RPed instead of rolled. These points were rewarded for completing scenes and RPing, and sometimes as options in loot drops. 

As for player activity, they had an interesting system in place. Instead of creating an event and telling everyone to join, the admin would send out an announcement asking interested players to send them a tell/PM if they wanted to partake. They then incorporated those characters into the scene naturally. This ensured that the people in any given scene WANTED to be there. I feel RP was a lot smoother and rewarding as a result. Granted, that was based on real time RP as opposed to forum-based RP, so I'm not sure how well it would work in this scenario. Worth mentioning though, I reckon.

Loot drops could be another idea. At the end of scenes, the DM running the scene would make a list of loot (suits, equipment for suits, weapons for suits, character scale equipment like weapons or other vehicles, or even just points for suit customization, novelty items, character specific rewards etc etc) and the players involved would roll 1d100. Highest or lowest roll would to choose what they want. The DM would try to make it make sense in terms of the storyline as well, (Like if the scene is raiding a ZAFT station for example, the loot will be all ZAFT stuff that would be on the station naturally.) Sometimes, if the scene was a big one and it was well-done, the DM would give out specific character rewards that made sense for a character (Like if your military character was involved in a large-scale successful mission, they could get a reward of a promotion in their faction, a favour from someone higher up, or things like bases or buildings that they could customize and put to their own uses in the world). I really liked this because it helped characters establish and maintain a certain sense of uniqeness. A non-combat character and a military character could be involved in the same thread and get completely different rewards that reflected what their character was all about.  

Not saying 'copy everything from this MUSH ever!' but I just wanted to point out some of the features that made it a fun experience for me personally.

In terms of the actual customization/battle/character sheet thing, I am unfamiliar with any system that we could use as my experience is pretty much limited to Pathfinder/D&D, Shadowrun, Mutants and Masterminds, and some homebrew Fallout stuff haha. Those systems are very number/math heavy though so my initial thoughts are that they're unsuited to a more casual forum-styled environment like this. There's a system called The Window that is a lot simpler but I'm not sure if this is the style we're really going for. We could just as easily separate number/math threads from the ones that we want as strictly RP, or even make up a homebrew system. I'm not good with numbers, I dunno lol. I reckon it would have to be relatively simple otherwise it might discourage people from wanting to take part in threads that required the system. Maybe just some base ability scores and modifiers, basic skills, and then stats for suits/weapons maybe. 

Yes, points will be awarded at the end of an RP thread. Character sheets might be making things too technical for what we are going for. The points system is more to facilitate the upgrading of the mecha and prevent overpowered units. Points system would also tie into the factions, i.e. factions with vast resources automatically have their units repaired and resupplied after each battle. But that depends on circumstances such as whether they are near a base. Poorer factions would have to salvage for parts or trade their skills for repairs, and they would have to live with the damages until they can procure the parts. Point system can also contribute to faction rank promotion.

Rolled combat only in instances where players are unable to come to a consensus on the outcome. In cases where players agree beforehand who would win the battle or to what extent the battle will last until it ends, they can easily RP that out on their own. But if they happen to get into a fight where neither players want to lose, the narrator will decide on the outcome. In the case where the thread only involves two players and there's no narrator for the thread, they can request for a staff to mediate.

There will be RP events that are critical to the plot, and those who register need to be actively RPing through the duration of the event. For general RP threads, players form the group and the narrator will lead. Or it can be a player volunteering to be the narrator and recruit potential players, and then they work out something that fits their characters that would make them want to be there. And on the point on realtime RP, I want to organise live sessions. So we set a time when everyone involved blocks out for RPing, probably weekends, and we have an intense one to two hour of RPing. Ideally, these sessions should be held it weekly or fortnightly.

I'm actually in the midst of writing up a guide that would touch on most of these points raised. It was supposed to be up along with the factions guide but I was sick and in bed over the weekend. Good point on loot drops. Adding that to my notes. My previous idea of loot drops was more of players getting stuff for doing certain missions, such as seeking out someone who sells a rare item, or robbing/negotiating with a shop/factory to get parts/weapons, or a faction building a specific facility or taking over one to develop certain types of materials/weapons/tech. So that in itself is a quest with predetermined loot. Throwing in random drops will make it more enticing. All that you mentioned are possible scenarios/outcomes.

It's not quite copying from the MUSH. I've seen these done in other RPs. It's the execution that is the tricky part. I would like to experiment with both arbitrary rewards and rolled rewards to see which works better in our system.

As for the point system, check out the good work done by Konig in the other thread. It'll need refinement but it's a good start. Since we started AD, I've always envisioned us having our own home-brew system called AdventURE: the Advent Universe Role-playing Engine. Seems like we're finally on track to do that after all these years. 

I'll hammer out the details on the system. The most pressing issue is still that of the storyline.