Welcome to Advent Destiny
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Narrators

5 posts in this topic

Posted

A big change I want to implement is the change in the role of Narrators. They will no longer be a staff position. Instead, they would be the leader of an RP thread. The game master. Experienced members running an RP thread with a big group might be granted mod powers to help them maintain order in that thread. However, this would be a case by case basis and I'm still mulling on this point.

The reason for this is simple. If a group of relatively new members come together and start a new thread, they can choose to appoint a Narrator who would be in charge of making decisions in case of a dispute, similar to how a GM or DM guides the adventures in an RPG. We want to the group to be able to play out their story without relying on the admins to get things done. However, it is a risk to offer mod powers to newcomers to the community simply because of the risk of the powers being abused. So we will review that each RP and Narrator, and decide if mod powers should be granted.

We will still have an active staff as a mod to help out if Narrators with no mod powers need help to clean up the thread. 

Thoughts please.

Posted

By that scenario I think having the special title of 'Narrator' would be a bit misleading. Instead of having an appointed title, the rule of thumb could be that the OP is thread master by default and he or she can appoint another member to support or share the responsibility of the running of that thread. 

As for moderation, I think it should be left to whomever you trust to have those privileges. That is unless there's a way to grant thread by thread mod powers and tailoring those powers nowadays (like only soft delete) but even then, we might have newbies inappropriately abusing that which brings me to my next suggestion - post count or participation qualification. It sounds silly but it would weed out the chances of having too many solitary post RPs. It'll also give the member an opportunity to show they can participate adequately and work with others in forming a RP as well as have them start forming a bond with the existing members before trying their hand at running a thread. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Agreed @Janus. It's not an appointed title, but a role they take up. The whole moderation issue is something to keep in mind and it will take some time to test out. At any rate, they won't be handed out easily. I take it that the change in the Narrator's role is a positive move?

Posted

I reckon so @Valiant. Just need to figure out something that'll work and short test it. 

Posted

Agreed that it is a positive move. This should help keep RPs moving, and we can avoid issues of staff being overloaded or RPs being stalled because staff are absent due to RL commitments. This should also allow many more RPs to be running simultaneously, encouraging more members to partake in their own stories, and develop their characters and storyline. There is a limit as to how many RPers each thread can support without becoming too messy.